11/05/2008

Face to face


First of all I am NOT a fan of polymer clay and much prefer paperclay. But since my paperclay is all dried up I used some old polymer. This is a mold I just purchased on e-bay and the finished face will be only 1" tall which is the size I was looking for. The sculpy molds are much too large for my liking. Now onward.....

1. When I push the clay into the mold I leave that big glob at the top. It serves as a handle to pull the clay out of the mold without distorting the image and is easily trimmed off. I discovered if I put it on something flat like a button it is far easier to work with...

2. This is the clay exactly as it came out of the mold. It is sorta a run of the mill goddess image ..but small in size.

3. Using ONLY a needle (I have no polymer clay tools) I made a very slight slit in the lips to give her a mouth... Then I poked in 2 nostrils. Then I made 2 holes in the eye area with my needle and inserted 2 green #11 glass beads. I made two tinnnnny worms of clay and laid them over the top of the beads for eyelids. The needle is not going to work for smoothing it out so it still is rough but I will have to wait until I can do the whole process again in paperclay.

4. This is my first attempt and it is ghastly. (maybe a witch or tree face) I did the same steps but held the head in my fingers and it was impossible to keep it was distorting as I worked on it. This is the very reason I prefer paperclay. You can let the piece partically dry and become firm and then wet the surface with a small damp brush to smooth and shape it.

I am very happy with the size as it will fit in nicely even on 6" blocks.... This one was called "small and sweet doll face polymer push mold." on Mister Boo's Warehouse on e-bay. Can you imagine #3 beaded?????

4 comments:

Connie said...

Hmmmm.... I planned to use polymer. Now I'm wondering if I have the right size faces! Guess I'll find out in a few days. She's only a little ghastly!!!!! Wait till I make one -- then you see ghastly!

pam said...

Very nicely done Gerry,
Thats a brill idea to leave clay at top of face. I also leave a large blob at the back to use the same way..I can grab hold of it when sculpting the features.
I have done many angel faces but never thought of putting beads in for eyes ''well done'' and thanks for idea.
Anyhow she is lovely.
Pam

Thelma said...

You are so talented Gerry. I may have to try this sometime,,I have never attempted using clay or anything. Once the clay dries to you paint it or leave it like it is? Love the idea of the beads for the eyes.

Gerry Krueger said...

Thelma.... polymer clay comes in a flesh color so you only have to sand lightly and highlight the lips, eye shadow and cheeks....
Gerry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts