3/12/2009

Cottage button - stage 4



At this point the acryllic paint is rather dull and the general appearance is not that attractive unless you take it to the next level. First I use a Q-tip to apply just a touch of gold metallic paint around the edge. I like it to be uneven as if the button were old and worn at the edges. Then I start spraying light coats of the gloss finish .. Krylon #1303 Crystal Clear. It creates a permanent protective coating with a glossy finish. It is available at craft stores and art supply center... Very important : Let each coat dry thoroughly. If you spray before a coat is dry it will always be tacky and clouded... I usually spray 6-8 coats. It gives the button a glass-like quality. I sand it very lightly between coats and when finished buff with a soft cloth.

Then I start with a row of beads around the button and then a row of picot (3 beads, skip a bead). When finished beading, trim away the felt close to the beading.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All your buttons are gorgeous, but cottages have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I can't paint worth didly (anything I touch ends with a Dali-esque look--not my cup of tea). However, I have a sister who can, so I'm going to do the prep work, bribe her to do the painting, then I'll finish. Had her check your blog yesterday and she's anxious to get started--we're going button shopping together later this week. First time in a long time we've had an outing together, so thank you on several counts! MarciS

Unknown said...

Gerry, this is a really nice tutorial. I'm not that great a painting, but I may give it a try sometime!
Dakotah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts