3/30/2009

Spider Web Experiment



I love Helen Steven's spider webs and am going to try to get closer to what she does...Two things I notice about her webs is that they are irregular plus are circular webs framed by a triangular structure. I know I should have a hoop but a hoop is impossible with the beading already on Janet's block.

One of of the problems I've had before was wispy, fly-away thread...I wanted to use a tatting #70 thread so I sprayed it with spray starch and pressed it...then I ran it through a sheet of fabric softener several time. It made a big difference... I anchored the triangular shape with pins so I could adjust and readjust as I went along. I made the triangular structure and began some spokes...working from the outside to the center..

Then I began to do the circular parts of the web...attaching to each spoke with a tiny stitch as I went along.

When I finished my circular web I went back and wove in some more spokes. At this point it is still loosely held at the outside edges of the structure.... I can make it more taut as I put in the leaves around it... Certainly not in the Helen Steven's catagory but I like it better than any other web I've made. This thread shredded a little so next time I will use silk.... Having the outside structure just held with pins allowed for much more manipulation...

Note: I chose to do the web before doing any foliage because I was experimenting with anchoring and adjusting the web with pins and needed a clear field to work in. Now I can go back and add the foliage.

6 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Hi Gerry! Very nice spider web! I think anchoring it as it would be in nature is the key - it is very realistic!
Hugs,
Kerry

Jeanne said...

Hi Gerry, I like your web, net real. Thanks for the clear explanations.
Hugs,
Jeanne

gocrazywithme said...

I am loving it! And very pleased that my block got your first new method web.

allie aller said...

What a great tip, to pull the web structure taught in the last step.
Wow! Thanks....

AMBER said...

Gerry, it's so nice to have you on CQ4N. I wish I had some of your talent. You are truly an amazing lady.
Amber

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts