2/12/2010

Avian Podiatry and more on leather

Avian podiatry......diagnosis and treatment of bird foot disorders... After considering options and responses I've decided just to forget the feet on nuthatch. I am only fascinated with it's feet because when this little bird LOOKS like it is walking down the tree trunk , it is actually sidestepping down...which I find that remarkable...
But Robin and others mentioned using wire for the feet and I think that is an exciting solution and by the time I finish the series of 12 birds I'm sure I'll use that suggestion...
And more on leather... Since I am still looking for my bag of metal sun buttons for my daffodil block, I decided to do some other suns. On the left I painted a cheap plastic button and the right is a polymer sun....both painted with alcohol inks and glued to leather... When I did the masks I painted the leather with acrylic paints and it worked great. This morning I painted the leather with alcohol inks and the leather absorbed all the color and is very washed out...so I will finish them with acrylics later today. Need to do more detail on faces after they're sealed and then I will put an antique wash on them...

1 comment:

Susan Elliott said...

I can relate to not being able to find something you're looking for! Good for you, making them for yourself. What do you seal them with when you're finished painting?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts