2/16/2010

Mystery of missing eggs...

My chickens had just started laying again after going through their molt and then suddenly there were no eggs in the nesting boxes day after day... I finally decided they must be eating them which they can do...

But when I couldn't find a chicken yesterday but I could hear her, I followed her low chatter until I found her sitting on a mountain of eggs in a dark corner of the roost house... I found another pile in a thicket... I think they're getting broody..with spring and all... So I put wire on the underside of the roost to keep them from there and covered the nesting boxes with heavy black fabric and starting today... nobody gets let out to free range for bugs until they have produced MY eggs...

I was really glad to find the piles of eggs as without being fertilized they would have rotted and attracted skunks and raccoons. I have no live rooster but there is a picture of a very handsome rooster on the wall of their inner pen...maybe I should take it down as it may be getting the girls overly excited.... They are loving this unseasonably warm weather and scratching up a storm... Our new dog Molly thinks the chickens are in her keep and follows them all over the garden when they are running loose...standing guard....

1 comment:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't know much about chickens, but my husband raised them as a child. We are the classic case of City Girl (Chicago) meets country boy (rural Northern Indiana).

I have come to appreciate the beauty he finds in roosters. We don't have live ones, but he is "allowed" to keep the others where ever he wants, as long as they are not around the frog pond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts