3/27/2010

Ruby's "Little Red"

Born yesterday morning..... This little guy is about as sweet as they come and very deep burgundy... I love the darker color some of them have when born... I know I've mentioned this before that these are a heritage breed and one of the oldest breeds in America having been introduced as a gift from the ruler of Tunsia to Thomas Jefferson....

The breed is Tunis and is often referred to as the Rompin' Redheads. Once nearly extinct, they are now not in danger as people began to recognize the value of older breeds. Rarely seen in the Northwest, they are mainly raised in the Southeast as they are a very heat tolerant, disease resistant breed...

Momma Ruby and Little Red enjoying a nap in the spring sunshine...

5 comments:

Ati said...

Oh Gerry, Little Red has stolen my heart !!

Anonymous said...

Little Red's wool would make a great sweater. Do you knit?
Dee

Karen said...

How gorgeous he is. Makes me miss spring on the farm and helping with the lambs!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Ahhh! He's so cute! We are in full swing now, but only had our first full tunis born night before last. Four more to go!

Magpie Sue said...

I haven't been around to read my more favorite blogs in a long time. I see I've missed much here!

I *love* this picture of Little Red. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get Puppy #8 (but it does sound like you're going to have to be awfully lucky - too bad).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts