8/27/2010

My work area is completely moveable...

I live in a small house and a room for sewing or crafting is just not an option so I work in the living/dining area and EVERYTHING is on wheels... I've shown this work area before which I use for crazy quilting and if we entertain or need the space, it all rolls into the laundry room.. It occupies a space of about 4x4'. The main star of this setup is the used hospital/home-care bedside table which I love... I increased the size of the table top by adding a larger piece of wood...and I'm thinking I might have to enlarge that just a bit... It's always full but I know if I had a 10' table, it would always be full also.. More space-more clutter. I used another one of these tables for my sewing machine and today I set up another one..

Before when I painted buttons I had paints and buttons covering our only eating area for days at a time. So since I am going to be painting lots of buttons to sell I set up this bedside table I found recently at a thrift store...


First I screwed 3 trays to the back to hold bottles of paint... I have lots of bottles of paints but I just pull what I need for the project I'm working on.
Then I screwed a measuring cup from my large laundry soap container to the table... Then another of the same measuring cup nests right into it and there is no spilled water.

This is one of the nicer tables and has a drawer which holds brushes, sanding block, whisk broom and pens.. I can just wheel it out when I want to paint and wheel it all back when finished and always be ready to go...
Since the buttons are only 1" in diameter, the work table is perfect for painting the buttons for my Etsy shop.. ...One nice thing about these tables is that, if necessary, I can raise them high enough to work comfortably standing up...

The tables could be prettier so maybe one of these days I will paint them ....watch for them to show up in my "If it's Ugly" section ...maybe this winter... Here's how I did the cabinet...

14 comments:

Bellesanbeaus said...

I love you work area! I know exactly what you mean by if you have more room you will just add more things to it! My poor kitchen table almost groans at the amount of crafting thngs i can put onit at one time. It gets so bad some times I barely have room to work for all the supplies. I love your ideas and look forward to seeing more of your buttons...they are after all....cute as a button! (sorry that just had to be said!) Big hugs Beth

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Great idea! Portability is ideal when you don't have a full time studio to work in. I'm going to go paste a link to this on my organizing blog. Hope you don't mind. Connie

BSOTF said...

I know just what you mean about space & having very little of it. But I love how you was able to deal with it so perfectly. Thankyou for sharing how you deal with it. I'll remember it later when I get to deal with that very same problem. Keep creating your work is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Your work area is an inspiration.I too have a small space, but it IS a separate room, so I haven't had to be as creative with the space as you have- inspirational.AND you quilt as well!!There's always so much "stuff" when quilting!!
Well done.

Arlene White said...

Love your set up Gerry, I'm lucky enough to have a room, but it does get cluttered at times, so I have to spend a day sorting it out.
I love your bird buttons, their stunning.

Thanks for sharing your lovely space.

Dori said...

Brilliant use for these tables, and so clever of you to customize them for your craft needs. :-) (Found you via Connie!)

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

What a rare find these hospital tables are! Good for you on scoring another one Gerry. I would love to find one someday in my thrifting travels.

Pearl said...

Now that's creative! Do we ever have enough room? Hope your feeling better. Hugs, Pearl

Pamela Kellogg said...

Hi Gerry, two peas in a pod! My home is small too. I have a small room for my big computer and storage for my craft supplies. I actually work all over the rest of the house. My sewing machines are in the living room. When I sew, I put the cutting board on the counter in the kitchen and set the ironing board up in the kitchen. Stitching is done in my living room as well. I have a cart with wheels on it and i can roll that to my sofa. Isn't it amazing how we learn to adapt.

Marilyn said...

The old hospital tables are a great idea. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I am blessed because the last 2 homes we have had have been large and I was able to have a room just for sewing but I have spent many years working in tiny spaces before that. I LOVE your many-drawered cabinet. And the cover on your chair.

Marty52 said...

Oh, how I wish I could find a table like that in a thrift store here! Screwing the paint holders down is a brilliant idea... it would be a mess without that!

Unknown said...

Hi Connie sent me to take a peek, what a great idea, my problem is no matter how much space I have it is always full. I like to watch TV in the evening and if you ever think of how to attach wheels to a folding craft table let me know, That is where I usually end up and the legs are height adjustable so when I'm done I can fold it up and slide it udr the couch but with Grandkids and young ones I need to be able to wheel it out of the way temporarily, Any ideas anyone??

Lori said...

I have one of those over the bed hospital tables. Originally bought for my daughter after her spinal surgery. I also used it after my surgery. It floated around the basement for awhile, and then I had an idea! For a while it held my small ironing board when I sewed at my kitchen table. Then I set it up in my paper crafting area, for my cutters and die machines. In a pinch it is in the living room when I work on jewelery. And amazingly, when I had the flu, back into the bedroom as a over the bed table! Love your blog!

Little Gramma said...

I have one of these bedside tables I purchased for my husband 10 years ago. The top eventually popped off as the screws were short and into pressboard.
It's been sitting around waiting to be repaired or donated as is, as I replaced it with a better hospital bed side-table for hubby from a thrift store.
I've got the best idea for it's used now. Next to the sewing machine for an extra table for trimming or pressing I can lower or raise for sitting or standing.
Thanks for the idea you shared on craftystorage blogspot after I had watched a Martelli youtube of their Omni Stand height adjustable table as then I searched for recycling a hospital bed side table in sewing room.
Thanks for sharing. Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts