10/02/2010

And what do I see....?

I do these kind of posts especially for Cathy K. because she always wants "to get inside my head." Hopefully some new CQers find them of value also.. not that Cathy is a new CQer but she still wants to get into my head....


I was too tired to stitch when I came in last night but I did spend some time pondering Ritva's "seams only" block. It's all silk and I love these soft muted colors. What's unusual is that it's only a 6" block and there are 12 patches and each patch is a different color.. Soooooooo I picked 3 of the colors (green, pink and cream) to be the focal colors.. They will bring the block together and move the eye around.. I'll use yellow as the accent color..


This technique is really useful if you are working on a block that has a lot of busy prints and colors... By picking just a few colors that seem to pop out at you, it will suddenly bring unity to the block... By trying to use every color in a block, you accentuated the activity of pattern and color and it becomes even more busy... This block is by no means busy but it does have a lot of colors so it can be used as an example.....


You can see I already added some ribbon and lace to start the process. Ritva indicated that we're to feel free using thread, ribbon, beads and whatever... so I plan to lavishly embellish these seams and especially make sure not to overwhelm the block with any strong colors... I want what I add to be in harmony with Ritva's choices.


Our warm weather was supposed to hold until Monday but I checked the weather first thing and today's the last day so will work like a crazy women today... First on the list is to fire up the tractor and get the last of the grass hay into the barn.... Now that the sun's coming up I can get going......

3 comments:

Ruby said...

It is grand of you to do these posts. Sometimes it just clarifies a thought or techinque. Always I learn something good. Thanks

Mosaic Magpie said...

Gerry,
I am one of those newbies you are speaking to. Thank you for sharing techniques and ideas. I am glad to have your blog as a reference.
Debbie

Cathy said...

Thanks, again, for the tip. I'm horrible (as you probably noticed) at picking out colors to add to a block. I use a bunch and probably add to the "busyness". Probably a sign my mind is in chaos right now ;-)

Cathy L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts