11/14/2010

Barn Stuff & Thanks for even more Edmar help

I've decided to add a whole new category to my esty shop -- barn stuff... I have a couple bins of old needlework like this... I had planned to used this as a centerpiece for a wall hanging and border it with CQ.... but I just have to let go of some of my inspirations as I can't live long enough to do them all... I have all but abandoned esty since I'm gone all the time for the next few weeks... I did get some cottage buttons painted but struggling with the photography... As much as I love the mother-of-pearl, it is a reflective nightmare... I need to take several hours and experiment with lights and settings... hours not available right now....
And on to Edmar........
Both Pat Winter and Melisa B suggested doing the steam thing which I will do when I start another skein..... "Take the tag off a skein of Edmar thread and hold the two ends around your fingers then hold over a steaming teapot while gently tugging them and moving from end to end. The threads will be as straight as a poker and you can put them in a bag and pull one thread at a time with no tangles."


Bobbi Pohl was right on with her suggestion: "Your trouble with the French knots may be because the Edmar threads are Z twist instead of the the standard S twist. It means you should work the knots in reverse of your usual practice, so they don't try to untwist in the process. I bet that's hard to do." She was right as all the unraveling disappeared when I reversed direction working the french knot... And right again when she suggested hard to do... It took me about an hour before I was comfortable with it.... like eating with my left hand...


And Margaret sent the greatest news: "I have one of those plastic EdMar storage things, and it came with a custom "hook-a-ma-jig" to pull the threads into place. If you want it -- and the threads -- I will be HAPPY to mail it to you! I love the colors of EdMar, but haven't ever enjoyed trying to use it. Not my cuppa tea. Let me know if you want the whole thing." And I am jumping at the offer and will soon have my very own "hook-a-ma-jig".... (and I bet that sends spell check into orbit...)

Thanks everyone...blog friends are great!

1 comment:

RoseLady said...

OOOOWWWWEEEHHHH !!! I for one am looking forward to your "Barn Sale"I am hopelessly addicted to that vintage embroidery art.


Joan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts