11/06/2010

Color Transition and Allie's Quilt

This is Allison Aller's amazing quilt that won second place in "embellished" quilts at the Houston Quilt Festival this week.. It is also on the cover of her new book coming out this spring. I followed along on Allie's blog as she made this quilt and shared it's construction step by step. Under "projects" in the side bar click on springCQ and you can see the 16 posts back to the very beginning of this quilt...


Even though Allison embraces all that is traditional about CQ, everything she does has exciting new elements... This quilt is just alive with 3D flowers and other motifs that are just fluid on this quilt... and the color transition is just exquisite... She's teaching a workshop on 3D flowers in the spring and I'm looking forward to it...



Because I had just posted about color transition and using photoshop I have to share an amazing fact about this quilt. Allie was this far along with this quilt and hadn't decided what to put in the center... She entered this photo in photoshop on her computer and played around with ideas for the center... If I were to look at this quilt for the first time I would have thought she had the center planned first and planned the rest to echo the shape of the center...

I encourage you to go through the steps of this incredible quilt.. The posts cover it all from planning, piecing, embellishing and finishing...
Allie is so generous in sharing her talent...

When I asked Allie's permission to post about her quilt I also asked her about dimensions of the blocks as that is where I'm making decisions now on the suffragette quilt.. I'll share that information tomorrow...

5 comments:

Laurie said...

thanks for sharing this Gerry, it's amazing, beautiful, and so much to aspire to. Breathtaking! I'm heading over to her blog.

Lisa Boni said...

I remember following along as Allie created this masterpiece and was so excited to see it on the cover of her new book! So glad to see that I'm not the only one inspired by it!

allie aller said...

Thanks, Gerry! You are very kind...
One note here...that blank square in the center is muslin...I sewed it in place as a blank just to help the quilt hold together without a hole in the center while I was figuring out what was going to go in there!

My point being that I really wanted to embellish this "as a whole"...not block by block individually. This can make a difference in the overall composition of things...

Anyways, thanks again!
~~~Allie

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I would have thought this quilt was planned from the center outward as well. It is absolutely gorgeous. I have so much to learn! I'm heading over to her blog now as well. Thanks, Connie

Pearl said...

This is so amazing! Beauttiful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts