2/05/2011

The barn in the beginning

It often happens I'm taking a picture of one thing and inadvertently get a photo of something else that I need later. I was actually taking a picture of the gallica roses in this bed going into their second spring... Not realizing I was also capturing the outside of the milking room in its original state.

I did all the construction and remodeling in the winter so that next fall I started on that room... I figured I'd have to do "shabby mismatched" (my specialty) but found the 5 matching windows at the left at a thrift store "as is" lot. I couldn't believe my luck. The same day I found the 4 smaller matching windows on the right which are in the gift shop...
Before I could even start remodeling we had to shovel out a huge amount of dried manure and scrape the floor clean... My DH is not a "handy man" with a hammer but he can really shovel "sh--"!


This room became an all-purpose work room during the nursery years... I build things for the garden in it such as benches and arbors etc. during the winter... In early March when plant seedlings began to arrive it was transformed into a potting center.
May 1st the nursery opened... Friday, Saturday and Sundays it was open to the general public and during the week it was open by appointment.. So on the weekends the room was gussied up as a tea room with overflow from the gift shop..


During the week it was transformed for workshops and lectures...
Then when the nursery finally closed it was transformed again into my big sewing room. This was another accidental shot... I was getting the room ready for the weekend not realizing I also got a picture of the original drain in the floor which carried all the cattle waste out of the barn... All someone would have to do is shovel the gravel out and it would be ready to use again... In fact it's one of my fantasies that when we sell someone will buy milk cows and turn it back into a milking room...Wouldn't they be contented cows with all those windows and surrounded by roses..????

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gerry, you are an amazing woman. I really enjoy all the information you share about how you came to live where you are and the improvements you have made. Sharing bits of your history is certainly interesting reading.

Ruby said...

Quite a transformation for sure! Interesting history of the place. Lots of work you put in it.

Pearl said...

Boy if these walls could talk, what a history. I enjoy all your adventures you are one handy dandy gal. I only wish I had half your energy! Have a fun filled wkend.

Susan Elliott said...

Maybe I'll come back in my next life as one of the sacred cows in your milking shed by those windows with roses...

I'm thinking we could all come for a stitching retreat and we'll just pitch tents in your forest. You can ring the bell to wake us and I can spend time in that little hut made from windows that I love so much. If you can't find me for stitching, that's where I'll be...It reminds me of the little shed that Grandpa Potts gets stolen away in in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID31056/images/jeffriescchitty.png

ahhh, the hazards of a wandering mind....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts