2/26/2011

Helina's "Seams Only" Block & a recap of blocks

This is my last block in this RR. Doing just seams is a challenge because you have to make them strong enough to add interest to the block since there's nothing else. I posted a couple days ago about Helina's block which has only three long seams and my decision to use wide seams which expanded into the block. Well it was one of my projects I worked on while Cathy was here and now it is ready to pop into the mail. This has been an interesting RR for me..





Helina asked us to limit ourselves to colors in the block and to do very wide seams when possible. Upper left I used a wide lace and embellished it with the block's colors.

The middle seam I chose to treat as two different treatments. I used the gold scallop treatment to tread lightly as I didn't want to overpower the lovely green fabric. On the inside curve I used the stronger colors of the fabric.



But the bottom seam against the white patch was the "ta da!" of the block.. I adapted this seam from on in Miss Carole's treasury and used the templates with the triangles. With all the beads and visual activity it becomes the focus of the block.. and I'm done.
Now here's a recap of the blocks I did in this RR. The first was Cathy L.'s and it was a delight because she had a definite theme to her block - apples and I added pictorial seams which carried out her theme.... including apple cores and my favorite .... worms..
The second was Ritva's and she had eleven patches in a 6" block..ELEVEN!! So you can easily see more patches, more seams and more interest .. Some of these seams were only 2" long and I loaded every seam. I love this block... I know I already blogged about this but in the lower left there was an orange patch which I was not fond of so I literally buried it in daisies...
But the absolute opposite happened with Jeanne's block. It had an orange patch and I celebrated it. This 6" block also had a lot of patches - nine... so lots of seam opportunity.

Meg's patches were so homogeneous that I didn't want to introduce any other color. And if you follow my work you will notice I am almost religious about limiting my colors choices on other people's block... You just can't go wrong...
So what did I learn...? I learned how important the seams are to the composition of a block. Since I was limited to just seams I really experimented and learned that I just LOVE seams..
Will I do another "seams only" RR? Probably not because I still love doing motifs
more...
My advice to you? If you do a "seams only" make a lot of patches.....


2 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

Those worms are THE BEST!!

Wilma said...

What a beautiful decorations on all blocks, but the little worms are my favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts