5/06/2011

And what is it you do? & It's a Winner



Remember this quilt I was working on this winter for the national AAQ contest ??? Well it won an Honorable Mention and is the only CQ in the winner's circle....


I get so tired of people asking "And what is it you do?" and they assume sane the minute they hear the word quilt... Last year Cathy Kizerian was encouraging everyone to get CQ out into the public eye... Well I realized she was so right and I am determined to enter CQ whenever I can so here's my big splash . There were well over 100 quilts entered so I am really happy...


So thanks to Cathy's urging and Allie's encouragement it is out there... and the best part it is touring quilt shows all over the country and will be auctioned on ebay in Nov. to raise funds for AAQ.


What I did learn is when entering something that black is not the best color choice... It does not photograph well. I had the absolute most yummy black velvets, brocades, satins, and textures in this piece and it all photographed flat.. Take a look at the winners here and go to the gallery to see all the entrants..


I want to do something for Kerry's altheimers project and enter the Hoffman this year... I have some of my block on stiff interfacing so I can plop them on stands and display them anywhere. Have blocks...will show!!

15 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Your blocks are absolutely stunning! You do such beautiful work. Congratulations on the win. You inspire me to do more CQ and maybe someday enter a contest.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Congratulations on the recognition. It's a beautiful piece even if you can't see the textures. The pink is stunning. What an excellent way to display the blocks.

You are right about CQ. Lots of people don't even know what it is, but mostly the younger generation. Sad.

Have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day.

Mosaic Magpie said...

The block is beautiful and what a great way to displays the different blocks. Congratulations on "Honorable Mention" and for being a great representative for the CQ's of the world!
Deb

Cathy said...

Congrats!!! -
Cathy L

FredaB said...

Hi Gerry

Congratulations I can now add you to my list of my famous friends, Allie, Susan E, Kathy K, and now Gerry K - just kidding. You all do such gorgeous work. I would love to see it in person. Maybe it will come to Chicago sometime when I am there.

I like your idea of just showing a block at a time. I was thinking that this is a good idea. Can alwlays find somewhere for a stand.
How about making a permanent backboard and then using velcro to hold each block. Think that would work?

It was so good meeting you in Ct. I have used one of the rabbits already and the house is going on an English garden block.

Hugs

FredaB

Cathy said...

Congratulations, Dear One!! Your Honorable Mention is well deserved!! When I visited, I loved seeing your finished blocks - actually finished, stiffened and ready to hang or put on an easel. Such a wonderful idea! Where did you get that lovely easel?

I am working on entering a couple contests, too!

Hugs, Cathy

ellen said...

just lovely! congratulations

Wendy said...

Congrats Gerry! Your quilt is stunning as always!

Susan Elliott said...

Woohooo!!!!!

Congratulations Gerry! That's a fabulous feather for one of those many hats of yours...Plus, it is a beautiful quilt with a great message...worthy of its tour all over the country. Isn't that cool??

Quayceetatter said...

Isn't it wonderful to win at a BIG SHOW!!!! Congratulations. Love your work and all you do for us CQ'ers!!
Linda in NM

Bear said...

Gerry congratulations and so much more then that you deserve huge clapping of hands out here in cyber space thats what I am doing and all of that you deserve huge praise your CQ is always brilliant and I know the problems of photographing with black fabrics but it always looks good in real time.........much big hugs n much huge hugs for you Gerry
love bear xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Wilma said...

Gerry, congratulations for the "honorable mention" in the contest! What a lovely CQ!
Hugs, WILMA

Cheryl said...

Thanks from all us CQers for getting your work out there. It is a beautiful piece indeed.
I think we all have to make an effort to do this if we want to see our wonderful craft passed on to the next generation.

Anonymous said...

Gerry How do you put your block on the interfacing. I would like to do some landscape block like this. Janie
jajones121239@gmail.com

Diane said...

Huge congratulations on receiving an Hon. Mention for your amazing block. Lovely to think of it touring around for so many folks to see and be introduced to the best of crazy quilting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts