6/18/2011

Chateleine vs Hussif/Needlecase

One of the blogs I follow is Crafty Storage.  I do get the occasional idea for stash storage but it is mostly geared toward people with whole rooms and money for storage units...  but she did devote one blog post to my hospital table for people with limited space.

Today she put out a request for storage ideas for "on the go", for those who don't have a dedicated space or travel .. Well is my chatelaine perfect or what???

This picture was taken by Holly at the Crazy Quilting workshop in CT and of course I am wearing my "tools."
Last year I did a post about my chatelaine and how it came about...  Susan Elliott asked "Why?" and Ati asked why I preferred it over a hussif.




The answer is available space and travel...  You can see my small home work area at the left....hardly room to roll out a needlecase or hussif.. but that is only a small part...  "On the go" is the biggest advantage... I have my needlework with me when I am waiting at doctors and hospitals, in the waiting room while my car is being serviced or having seasonal tire  changes, at duplicate bridge tournaments between sessions and rounds, in the park at summer concerts and in airports between flights, etc. etc. . and invaribly there is never a table or surface to lay out a needlecase and I'm trying to work on my lap, a magazine, or my clipboard.  But in the car and on the plane are the very best use for it...  Try picking up your tools from the floor wearing a seat belt and we all know how big those airplane tray tables are...

So I am reposting what I wrote about my chatelaine and please note it took me THREE times to get it right! 


From 6/14/2010:

Antique chatelaines were sewing tools on silver chains which needleworkers attached to their bosom with an attractive brooch. I decided I to design my own chatelaine. Besides traveling, I often stop and start projects and needed everything handy...my various needles, retractable scissors, awl, pincushion, tape measure, pockets for threads and orts.

To the left is my third try and close to perfect for my needs.For my first one I actually used two men's ties attached at the middle. I did attach scissors, needle cases and pincushion by chains and added small pockets at the bottom. The chains were always tangling and catching on things.

On my second try I used a man's tie for a pattern and used decorator fabric. I made pockets (or pouches) for items. In addition to needle cases, scissors and pincushion, I also had an emery bag (to sharpen pins and needles), an awl, a tiny tape measure, and sterling antique threads holders. It was too much and too heavy. So on my third try I stripped down to what I needed the most and decided to make it pretty as well as practical by doing it with crazy quilting.

On the far top right I have two needlecases. One is long and used to be a sterling case for a thermometer but is perfect for long needles I use for doll making. The other case is used for regular embroidery needles. Both are on chains and tuck into pockets so they won't get lost and won't interfere with my handwork.


Below the the needlecases is a flat pincushion in which pins are inserted from the side. I may replace it with one filled with emery powder. It holds only a limited amount of pins because it is small but certainly enough for handwork.
Below the pincushion at the bottom of the right side is a pocket that has a tab which swings out and holds needles that are threaded and in use. When using several colors the unused threaded needles can be pinned into the tab and needle and thread tucked into the pocket.
On the left side is my beloved scissor angel with its own pocket for the scissors. At the bottom of the left side is another pocket into which I tuck all theads I clip.
I've made it pretty to look at and pretty to wear by doing it with crazy quilting and adding favorite buttons and charms. I've used this many years now and it has traveled all over the world with me. If you decide to make one I recommend you make a list first of what you need to have and draw the size of pockets needed on your "tie" pattern.

 When not in use it hangs on a lamp by my work area.....ever ready.... So if you always stitch at home and have everything at hand or if you always have space to put your supplies or hussif, I suppose there would be no advantage.

I also have a several needlecases and occasionally use them  ... but years ago I figured out those stitchers in earlier days had a great idea so I just adapted it.... and it works for me.....

Addendum: For several years now any scissors shorter than 4" have been OK for both carry on and checked luggage. ...  I always take a $5 pair rather my good ones just in case but have flown all over the US with never a problem.  I can't speak for overseas flights.  Used them on 6 different planes going to and from CT in April....no problem...

7 comments:

Pearl said...

Well that has to be the most functional way to do your work but the prettiest too! Great idea.

tongfengdemao said...

This is a great idea. I'm wondering how you get to use it on planes, though. Security always takes away my little scissors when I have forgotten to put them in my checked bag.

Faith
http://airynothing.net/Blogs/index.php?blog=13

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

That is gorgeous and practical! I love the idea Rose.
I NEED one ;-D

I was wondering the same thing about getting through security with it? Otherwise it would be perfect on a long flight!

Take care, Connie

Unknown said...

Gerry, I love the picture of you with your great smile over your whole face. I should have looked more closely at your chatelaine in Connecticut.

Meari said...

That's a great idea, and pretty too!

Skooks said...

What a great idea! I would never have thought of a necktie. Handy!

Primitive Seasons said...

Just the chatelaine alone shows what an accomplished needlewoman you are. It's truly lovely and I'm sure brings you hours of pleasure and enjoyment. A really old fashioned but fabulous idea.

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts