12/19/2011

Embellishing the frames.....

The most important and most powerful elements on this quilt are the images.... and right after the images are the frames which enhance them... When I showed the quilt blocks to Allie she cautioned me on overembellishing the quilt which she felt would diminish the images.  And she's right of course...

But all the materials I had already selected for embellishing (beads, laces, and threads) are all the same tones as the fabrics... There will be very little contrasting work.  Even though tone-on-tone isn't very dramatic, it does add a lot of depth and richness...  The frames on the left are almost finished except for a tiny black braid which I can't find...  I might have to clean house again... I forgot to take a before picture...  that odd little off-white rayon braid was in a little baggie of stuff I found in a thrift store when Cathy K and I were searching for bargains... the one day I let her out of the barn...  There was about 18" of it and it is perfect for combining with old lace.

While I am waiting for the little black braid to jump up and hit me in the face, I'm starting on the next block with unembellished frames... Here's the before...

Since I am working on framing I did add a framing post to http://blocktakwithgerry.blogspot.com/  and also a link to back posts filled with ideas for framing images.

This is the first week in months that I feel I'm catching up and also have time to choose some activities that I want to do instead of what HAS to be done...  So I'm not only stitching, I'm going to paint and cut out fabric for the CQjournal project.

Only 2 more days until the days start getting longer....

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Wow, I love the block with the frames that you have completed. My eyes are immediately drawn to the pictures and the background looks so rich. I'm glad someone else counts the days till it starts getting lighter!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Glad you are doing some fun stuff and not just have to stuff. The frames are great and really set off the photos.
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts