12/30/2011

My Gold Stash

I love using gold in crazy quilting...  a touch of gold just adds life to anything.   It is the rare piece of work in which I have not incorporated at least a little bit  of gold....

I see this round robin as a challenge to use gold in creative ways..... The perfect project to dispel winter blues.


First I have this wide (24") shallow drawer filled with gold lace, fabric, toule, rickrack, gimps, braids, and gold ribbons of all sort.  Wide wired gold Christmas ribbon make fabulous flower parts and insect parts. A motif worked on gold toule is breathtaking.

I have a smaller  shallow drawer just filled with cording. both gold and silver.... stretchy gold gift wrap cord being one of my very favorite.






And then there is the big bag of stuff that does not fit in the drawers. And this does not even start on the various gold beads.  None of this stash (and I repeat NONE) is expensive...  Some are thrift store finds after Christmas and the rest is mostly Christmas trim closeouts after Christmas.



Finally  for couching I use Sulky's gold thread available at any fabric shop. It is inexpensive but metallic.  I did buy some YLI gold candlelight in CT last spring but haven't used it yet.  These lovely gold braids and trims are ONLY available during the holidays and are marked down greatly after the season ends...that is when I stock up.

I think goldwork and crazy quilting are a match made in heaven and hope you all watch as this round robin progresses.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Hi Gerry, This looks like a lot of fun. I am not signing on to RR's this year but this will go in my book of things to do. I know all of your squares will be stunning. Reen

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Hmmmm - now I've signed on I have to go stash diving to see just what I have in gold, plus it's a good excuse for a trip to the thrift store (as if I EVER need an excuse!!).

Mosaic Magpie said...

I live in KY near Fort Knox, I think the gold stored there pales in comparison to this stash!
Deb

Lorraine said...

What a wonderful stash. I am very interested in seeing how this RR progresses as I've used very little gold to date. Think I may have to visit some of the post Christmas sales for GOLD!!!

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

What a great stash Gerry! I am so excited about this round robin beginning - I think we will have great fun!

karen said...

Gerry, thanks for sharing your stash, it has given me some great ideas to use and look for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts