5/19/2012

My plant of flying butterflies.....


 


Gillenia (Gill-i-nee-a) trifoliate is definitely in my top  five favorite perennials... Sometimes known as Porteranthus or Bowman's root.  It's at the back of the garden and I wanted to move it up by the house.  But when I read you chance losing it by disturbing it, I opted not to lose it..  At least I get to see it in bloom as I pass on the way to the forest...

Since it is difficult to get the seeds to germinate I started seeking out starts on line several years ago and this proved difficult also.. Not many nurseries carry it and those who do often list them as not available or crop failure... I ordered it at 3 nurseries this winter and only one came through..  The plants are tiny but I am a very happy gardener ... I ordered three just in case..

 It has survived drought conditions, deer and rabbits in my garden...  I am zone 4.  A compact rounded plant (about 24" at maturity)  is festooned in late spring with clouds of delicate  white flowers  with red petioles and mahogany stems. It's  foliage often turns deep bronzy red in fall   Great for cut flowers!

It is a native in the northeast and hopefully easier to find there...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts