7/29/2012

It's a small world

   In May I did a post on tips and techniques for selling from a booth...This summer I have done 4...three were profitable and one was a bust... Having done lots of shows large and small when we had the nursery, I'm not sure I want to do them again... They can be expensive and tiring. The art festival I did  last weekend was outdoors and out of town... It rained right up to the very day and then was fiercely hot and humid.

As I had suggested I set my display up at home ahead of time and paid careful attention to weight, space, and ease of toting it all there.  Along with a big smile I made sure I wore something bright and cheerful so people felt comfortable stopping to chat and shop.  I had a fold-up stool from the old days which is like a canvas director's chair.  I'd made a painting work area for it.  It swings open and shut, has a place for water, palette, and paints so they don't fall off. People were curious and stopped to watch me paint which I know  increased the sales...  The nice thing about buttons is  they don't take up a lot of space...  I did have to supplement with some garden pins, pincushions, etc.  Not a lot of inventory.


Now for the "it's a small world" coincidence.  A lady stopped by and was buying a lot of buttons and then introduced herself...  She was the president of the National Button Society and insisted I should get a booth at one of their conventions...either national or state.  It was her opinion I would do very well as my buttons are unique.. This is a venue I hadn't considered.. It so happens the national convention this year is in Portland, Oregon next week... Too late for this year but certainly something to consider before I give up button painting and I would have to paint a lot in advance to have enough inventory. But her encouragement and interest (and sales) certainly brightened my day.

I had a friend to stay with and I was lucky enough to get a spot under a tree in the shade as it was 90 degrees.  I don't know if I would have survived otherwise... I don't have a canopy anymore and have since decided I don't want to invest in another...  That will limit me to indoor venues..  But the hours are long (9 hours) and booth space is expensive and I am older and tire more easily... I won't say never but I'll be very selective...  

One last suggestion...if you do a booth make sure you have someone take a picture, not only of the booth, but with you in... So later you can be objective about how customer friendly your booth is...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Well, I think your booth and you look very inviting and friendly! Sorry to hear it was so hot and humid! Been there, done that, and it is miserable. But it sounds like you had good sales!

Susan Elliott said...

This is Such great news! Discovered by the President of the NBS! I suppose by now, you've been invited to her vacation home...Loved your happy look. It' s a good idea to look friendly and approachable. I'm tucking that hint away...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts