8/04/2012

The Last Goldwork Block.....

The one element that really defines goldwork for me is the couching so I wanted to focus on it in this last block... Also I wanted to include a bird which is always a favorite with me... Since Maire specified a Wm Morris design "Strawberry Thief" everything seems perfect.

On the left is a piece of fabric designed by Wm Morris. You see this design repeated on pottery, linens, draperies etc.  It is VERY Art Nouveau, elegant and best of all whimsical..






As I studied it last night I chose this section of the design to base my adaptation.  I want a lot more strawberries in my version... What is especially exciting for me are the blue leaves below the bird which just scream gold couching... So I will add more of those shapes also... besides I want this all-over look so typical of his work.




So I finished the evening with this rudimentary sketch and thinking about materials and technique..  finally deciding to do the bird off block. But haven't decided whether the bird will be gold fabric with beading or gold satin stitch...

Hopefully tonight I will have time to clean and simplify this drawing into my design for the block... As for transferring the design, it should be no problem if I do it in sections with my cutaway transfer method.

I do know how I want to do the foliage because I have this lovely vintage piece (a gift from Cathy K.) I brought home from CA last January... I adore this piece and have it by my desk where I see it every day..  It is very old and very fragile and much of the gilding has worn away...but it is one of my favorite treasures...




You can see the leaves are all outlined with three rows of couching with fine cording... This is exactly how I want to do the foliage on my piece.. Time consuming but worth it...



4 comments:

Suztats said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this! It's going to be gorgeous.

Marilyn said...

It looks like you had a successful "all to yourself" day. I like your sketched idea and I love your treasure. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on the block.

Crystal S. said...

what a beautiful gift. Love your new design and can't wait for the update.

Hugs
Crystal

Susan Elliott said...

*sigh I love this pattern and I can already tell your rendering is going to be amazing. Here's to more stitching days for you...and thank you for not having word verification.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts