9/04/2012

Sneak Preview of Funky Fence Progress

I had my dandy, handy helper come two extra days so we could finish the hardest part of the fence before I leave for SLC next Monday.  I think we might make it... close anyway.  These are the fancy finials for the posts.

The object was to build this fence with things on hand and I certainly have...Of course the 4x4s were salvaged from all the things we disassembled this summer.   And the black base is my  "super tip" of the day" ..  One of the things I've always watched for in antique and thrift stores are mismatched orphan leaves from dining room tables.  There are often piles of them in old stores and they are real wood and dirt cheap...  Most often pine with a veneer of some sort but I have scored some really fine pieces of wood also..  But if you're going to paint it, who cares...  I have used these orphan table leaves to build all kinds of things... especially shelves.  Today they are the black bases for my finials..

I did buy the wood caps... one of the two purchases I've made.

The little rusty rabbits came from a lath deer fence on the NW corner of garden.  They were interspersed with extra tall pieces of lath to add some whimsy.  I still have some other rusty rabbit yard art left out there..











Through the years I have used metal bedsteads for gates everywhere.  This one was a wrapped with chicken wire and used as a gate in the small lamb pasture for about 10 years.  It is not real brass or even brass plated so I had no regrets about cutting it up to salvage the ceramic pieces.  I have always wanted to use them in something but the right project never appeared until now..  I was a couple short but I used plain ceramic knobs in their place...  I was amazed that this bedstead has been exposed to the elements all these years and the little decals are still so delightful.

I didn't have enough for the new gate posts but as luck is on my side with this project,  I found 5 more antique brass door knobs in the barn that will be perfect for the gate posts....  I will start on the gates Friday...

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Your gate post is so cute. The bunny is the perfect finishing touch. And your super tip is definitely super. I want my DS to build me a shadow box frame for one of my cq pix and a table leaf would be a cheap source of wood. I'm so glad I discovered your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Love the fence! It is just sooo "you" .... making something beautiful from cast-offs. Those bunnies are too cute and I love knowing that table leaves are a part of it.
SusieW

Susan Elliott said...

What is the new helper's name? I feel like I really got to know Will.

Bottom line...I think I'm going to give you the Yankee INgenuity award. NO one can say you are not an ORIGINAL. love the fence and the benches and everything else you do. I would have loved to visit your gardens/shop when you were in your heydey. I bet it was a treat for all the senses. Now, I'd just like to visit your kitchen and have you feed me. Just like DH...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts