10/29/2012

Another tune-up on an old RR Block.



I pulled this block from my UFOs because it doesn't need a whole lot to go from lovely to spectacular... Many times I may remove a little from a block but as a rule I always add a whole lot more....which will be the case with this block...  It was a Fabulous First Timer block and I was "mama" to this group.   It didn't mean the stitchers were novices, just that they were new members  to Crazy Quilt International...

You can see I have cleared a couple patches because the overall effect of this block is lacy and delicate and that is what I want to build on.  There's a lot of delicate seam work that I want to echo as well as something lacy in the bottom patch that picks up the color of the lace seam on the left. Also probably some lacy dragonflies in the upper center patch... and  I plan on adding many more pink buds to the vine on the right.  Also I'll stitch some white french knots to lighten the upper right corner.    There's gold beads in the frame and on the left so I'll add it somewhere else as well..  I'm having to stitch "on the road" tomorrow so since this piece involves a lot of french knots and no beading, it is perfect...

I'll be glad to get this block finished and bound with velvet.  I've always loved what Nicki Lee did with the frame on the silkie.  She couched satin cording around the image and then wove pink and green beads around the cording..  She finished two sides with beads and ribbon work...

She was first to work on this block and set the mood and colors for the block..  What is done by the first stitcher is so critical...



Had company for dinner yesterday and fixed Polynesian spare ribs in the slow cooker...(8 hrs)  When I chose my apron for the day I wasn't aware  I was going to be coordinated with the pineapple garnish..

One guest brought a fabulous polenta dish.  He had one layer of polenta, a layer of taleggio cheese, a layer of polenta, a layer of  gorgonzola cheese topped with another layer of polenta.  It was heaven.  He also brought homemade raspberry-lemon sherbet for which I made a huckleberry topping... yummy.










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts