1/11/2013

Computers...a great CQ tool!

When I first started doing a blog I would photograph blocks as I went along and post  them on the blog... But invariably when I saw a block-in-progress on the screen, I would notice some element I wanted to change.  It was always something I never noticed when the block was on the table.. So it became a habit to put a block on the computer screen before I declared it finished....
I was facilating between pink velvet ribbon and green velvet ribbon and couldn't make up my mind but the minute I saw both versions on the screen I knew I preferred the pink...

Now if you have photoshop or a similar program (and there are many) it is even a greater tool for making decisions... And last night I put the first efforts on my CQ2013 block in the photoshop... When I am going to use an image I will print it in several sizes and audition them for size and placement BEFORE I print it on the outrageously expensive photo fabric sheets.

Here I have decided I want a larger image than I first thought... And although I love the colors of this lace motif it is entirely too large for this block and overpowers the cottage.  I may color a smaller lace motif if I have one or else cut this one apart and use the smaller flowers... I just love all the decisions...and using my computer and photo editing makes it even more fun.
The piece of antique lace lower right is especially beautiful and very rare as well as very fragile.  I have been saving it for a long time and will do little to embellish it as it stands on its own beauty.

Note: response to Marjolein's comment below about color: Thanks for commenting Marjolein,,,and I think the key words are "When I took pictures"  I find my camera, not the computer, does all the weird things to color... I find colors pretty true if I scan the block....and I scan all the buttons for my etsy shop.  I find great variation in color just by moving the subject from room to room or outside to photograph...... It DRIVES ME CRAZY...  Just by trial and error I found I get the truest color if I put things at an angle to the table in the dining room....Not sure why but it works best there..

Since I use the computer for color for more general things like whether I wanted a pink or green ribbon, it definitely does that and general color combination...but then I usually scan whenever possible... it's quicker and truer color...  

 

3 comments:

Marjolein said...

I agree the computer can be a big help with making decisions. The picture of the cottage for example can be decreased or enlarged to see how it looks beforehand. But what about colors? When I took pictures of my violets quilt, purple became blue (not always though), the yellows weren't right and so on. I found colors on the computer screen aren't reliable. Of course some colors can be adjusted with software, but it is very hard to equal the real colors.

Marilyn said...

It really is amazing how something that you think looks just fine when you are working on it changes when you put it on the computer. The flaws just seem to pop out at you. Its a great help. Isn't it fun to find the perfect place for a special piece of lace. I had a piece of wide sheer silk ribbon from my friend's aunt's wedding dress. It was so fragile it fell to pieces in spots but I used a small piece on a special block. Every time I see it I think of my friend.

Marilyn said...

It really is amazing how something that you think looks just fine when you are working on it changes when you put it on the computer. The flaws just seem to pop out at you. Its a great help. Isn't it fun to find the perfect place for a special piece of lace. I had a piece of wide sheer silk ribbon from my friend's aunt's wedding dress. It was so fragile it fell to pieces in spots but I used a small piece on a special block. Every time I see it I think of my friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts