3/17/2013

Colors for my happy "Rainbow Door"

I have been gathering color palettes various ways... Some like upper left... I use the "color picker" feature in photoshop on things I think are happy like this piece of crazy quilt... Others palettes I've collected on fashion and home interior sites.

I want colors that make me happy and I can live with and colors  that won't shock my husband into a divorce or heart attack when he comes home and sees it... He didn't talk to me for 3 days after the porch project last spring.  Now he loves it. The nine colors upper right are Martha Stewart's spring rainbow palette and I really like it the best so far...

I did a little research and the brand of paint most often recommended for metal doors was Behr Ultra and I have been playing in their virtual color center where you can save colors and tweek them... I'm at the tweeking stage now.

Besides DH, my other concern was the cost as most paint centers won't custom mix anything less than a quart  and one quart would do the entire door... I want at least 8-9 colors... So the VERY BEST thing about the Behr site is they will send you 8 oz. samples of the colors you pick for only $3.98 and free shipping for over 4 colors... Now that is a real deal for this project and I may get 12-15 colors.. If there is paint left over I may paint birds and a rainbow on the garage doors..and on the barn too...    So when I'm too tired to stitch and it's too early to go to bed, I'm playing with paint colors..

Update: My  mother is out of the hospital, out of the nursing home and moved from a independent living unit to an assisted living unit.  I unpacked the last of the boxes yesterday.

6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Can hardly wait to see it - hope you share pictures when it's finished:)
tootles,
JoeyLea
http://thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

Marilyn said...

I think the Martha colours are the ones I like best too. So...are you going to make the door a cq block? Just think of how much fun you could have painting the seam treatments (grin). I'm glad to hear you Mom has recovered and is settled in her new place.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

A CQ door!! Now THAT would REALLY promote CQ. Behr has always been my favorite brand. The stain on our home is Behr and it has held its color and protected the wood amazingly well.

We're gonna LOVE your door. Whatever colors you choose.

Suztats said...

Oh, what fun! I shall look forward to your rainbow door. I imagine it will brighten up every grey day.
Good news about your Mother being out of hospital.

margaret said...

so good to read your \Mum is now better and settling into her new home.

Can`t wait to see the transformation of this wonderful door, the more colours the better.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Can't wait to see the results...hope DH is not reading your blog!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts