6/30/2013

My big adventure and cause for celebration..

Almost two years ago Holly Van Kleeck and I were chatting at a retreat and she asked if I would be interested in attending a  Judith Baker Montano workshop with her.  And it is finally happening.. Holly lives in Denver and will pick me up at the airport on Friday.  We will be staying in Judith's guesthouse and the workshop we are taking is "Cottages Galore" which fits right in with my year's exploration of everything cottage.. I am packing threads, material and beads etc., - but no ribbons.  I plan on splurging on lots of Judith's lovely hand dyed ribbons which you see hanging behind her.

After a long year of my health problems and my mother's health problems, the thought of totally immersing myself in stitching surrounded by stitchers for 5 days is my idea of heaven,

And I will be leaving on a celebratory note. About 3 months ago we were notified by the county assessor's office that the forest acreage needed to be reclassified due to a change in country regulations.  I have no  problem with this.... But the fees and requirements to do so were going to be nearly $2000 for what amounts to a little paperwork. So I went into battle and have spent hours and hours and  have two files stuffed with forms, regulations and letters. I have met and corresponded with multiple persons in the assessor's office, the county planning office and with the state assessor's representative. It has nothing to do really with the forest nor the land but is about money.  What it ensures is that when the forest is eventually harvested (after I'm dead and gone) that the state will get a bigger tax bite of any profits.  For weeks it was like banging my head against a stone wall but to my great relief I found out on Friday that I won and the costs for the reclassification are being waived.

11 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Gerry:
I can only imagine how much fun you're going to have for five days with JBM! "Heavenly" is right!
Congratulations, too, on winning your battle. How we evolved into a country of regulations and taxation would stun our Founding Fathers. Score one for the good guys (girls)!
xo
Donna

Marilyn said...

Tis a good news day. You deserve a nice relaxing week of stitching. Enjoy

gocrazywithme said...

Have a wonderful time, Gerry. I know you will!

Suztats said...

Oh, wow! 5 days of stitching Heaven! I hope you enjoy every moment.
Congrats on winning your battle.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Enjoy... I know you will!!

Cathy said...

Congrats on your win over the county. I bet they're not accustomed to someone standing up to them! Have a great time with Holly at Judith's place. It does sound like stitching heaven!! Hugs, Cathy

Marlynne said...

Good for you! A job well done! Now go and enjoy a much needed and deserved week of play!

margaret said...

you are in for a fabulous time on this course, make sure you time to take some photos for sharing with us. Well done good to hear you won your battle with the county

Mosaic Magpie said...

Congratulations on the court battle...I knew you were a "Stick To Your Guns" kinda gal.
I am soooooooo jealous of your upcoming class...
Have a great time!
xo,
Deb

Laurie said...

I'm so happy you will be able to enjoy this event! The first book I ever got about crazy quilts was one of Judith's! Congratulations on winning the battle for your forest!

gocrazywithme said...

Here's hoping you'll post some photos and comments about your class so the rest of us can live vicariously. No rush, of course, but sooooooon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts