9/08/2013

Finished with last chatelaine

This gift chatelaine will go out in tomorrow's mail.. Then I can focus completely on the suffrage blocks.  I did make a couple little refinements on this chatelaine.  Instead of sewing the two sections together at the back of the neck, I connected them with a button.  Not only does this allow the recipient to adjust the length of the chatelaine, but the button acts as a pivot or hinge... I'm thinking this might be a very good thing.



















I always make the pin cushions with a yoyo stuffed with poly and use a large button to flatten it.  Instead of a button this time I used a bezel --- one I use for my button.  I drilled a few holes in it so I could sew it on and then glued one of my buttons on it...  Another good thing!!!




On helper day last week we were mixing cement and filling every hole and crevice in the back of the house.  The oldest part of the house has a loose stone foundation and critters find a way under or through to spend the winter soakin up the warmth of the house and having a litter of young in the spring.  These critters often include squirrels, feral cats, rabbits and skunks.  Of course skunks being the very worst senario. In past years I've buried wire and cement blocks and still they dug under.  This time my helper dug very deep and we buried heavy wire and filled in with cement and then I'll stack cement blocks in front of that.



   

5 comments:

Createology said...

Such a sweet chatelaine and the button does look like a wonderful adjustment and pivot element. Oh yes...the critters...especially skunks! We get them here too. Stitching Bliss Dear...

Marilyn said...

The recipient of your chatelaine will be very pleased, I think. Its gorgeous. I definitely need to redo mine and I'll incorporate the button at the back for sure. I think we found the hole where the squirrel got in to the walls last year. I hope so anyway - I have visions of one chewing through the wiring and causing a fire. I hope your solution works for you.

margaret said...

a very pretty chatelaine, lovely and so useful too.

Hope you keep the critters out this winter, I have swifts that come every year and nest in my roof space, amazing watching them zoom into the tiny crack to get into the loft space, the first few days when they arrive they keep missing but so get into the hang of it.

Mom E. said...

Gorgeous Chatelaine! I have one my mother made me that I just LOVE! what a great idea to use the button!
Hugs,
Betsy

Mosaic Magpie said...

Beautiful Chatelaine! I like the idea of having a button to adjust the length and I would imagine it will help keep it in place. Good luck keeping the critters out.
xo,
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts