10/25/2013

Did you notice the girls??

The reason I chose this particular image for the suffrage quilt was, except for the drivers, this gaily decorated parade vehicle is filled with young girls... "votes for us when we are women."  Over and over again I saw images of the inclusion of young girls in the movement.  They weren't old enough to vote, take a stand,   or protest but they were included in numerous ways.
Top right is finished now and I really wish I had a wall to put the blocks on at this stage.  In the other image on this block the suffragettes are literally tooting their own horns for their cause.  Those of you who remember the beginning of this project will also remember how I agonized over the choices of images from literally hundreds I had collected.
 
When all the blocks on the right side are put in place you can see the black border emerging....
Here is the detail of the button feature and the trim flower.  This flower was made from gimp.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

I hadn't noticed the girls but I was concentrating more on the stitching and embellishments. You could make an improvised design wall by pinning the blocks to one of your window quilts. I'm waiting anxiously to see the whole thing completed. It is sad that women had to fight so hard and so many young women don't even bother to vote.

margaret said...

such strong women, I wonder if then was now would we rally like they did. Great piece of creativity

Suztats said...

Gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts