10/20/2014

?/applique and what size am I anyway?

I've started a lamb for Kathy Shaw's wool block and since this is completely backward from how I usually do these off-the-block critters, I will share the process with you...

I am sure there is a name for this procedure but I haven't a clue what to call it... Ordinarily  I embroider the critters and trim extremely close to them and applique it on the patch...  Here are a few BEFORE I trim them close


This time instead of trimming close I will leave the excess and dye it with alcohol ink.  I will put the whole thing on the block and work on top of it....
I can stitch on this now because the jacket is   under construction and I can tote Kathy's block with me.  I really want to get it done before I leave.












In my eagerness to start my jacket I neglected to make a sample of the pattern to make sure it fit...  I did that very thing today and luckily it does fit...  I wasn't even sure what size of pattern to buy.  Patterns used to run large but the the whole sizing for women has changed so much and it has been so many years since I've sewn from a pattern... To compound the problem I'm not even sure what size I am.  Over the last year I have gradually lost 35 pounds but still wear the same fat clothes.

 But since the sample did fit and I started in earnest today.  First I added another layer of the tricot knit interface.  When I did the patchwork I did it much larger that the pattern to allow for any shrinkage with all the stitching.  The backsides have a beauty of their own..







The left side was perfect but the right side was really cutting it close in a couple spots and I may have to add a patch in one spot.

Because I am under-tall, I shortened the garment a LOT...  The front edge is at an angle because it laps across.

I am still working out how I'll do the lace sleeves.  I can always use it as a vest if it doesn't work.. I always try to have a backup plan...  Much of my lift has been the backup plan......



4 comments:

Lisa Boni said...

So wonderful to see this amazing vest/jacket coming together! You are always an inspiration!

margaret said...

the lamb is coming along well and the jacket well wow can not wait to see it complete and a photo of you wearing it. Best of luck with the quilt at the show I am sure it will actract loads of comments as it is so wonderful and fingers crossed a well deserved ribbon too

Marilyn said...

I love the lamb - so cute. And the jacket is beyond words. I can hardly wait to see it done - the piece cut out that is shown right side up is stunning. Back up plans have saved me on more than one occasion :).

Shirlee Fassell said...

My prayers are with you .... fitting is a &!)/! It's gonna be fabulous I know you will make it work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts