11/05/2014

Perfect class by complete accident.

 One of the things on my "to do" list was to photograph and study  different ways of sashing and doing borders...  When the class schedule came out there were some on borders but I had limited funds and most called lots of supplies...not for me.  But there was "Border Design Workshop" by Karen Buckley that was  an inexpensive lecture requiring no supplies and just 4 hours... I couldn't have found the more perfect class if I had searched for months...  You can see upper right how intricately she drafted the border to make fit it the quilt...

 Back tracking..... you may have noticed until the suffrage quilt, I  almost NEVER assemble  blocks other than the Morris book.  I finish all the larger blocks to be displayed singly and all the RR blocks languish in baskets waiting.  But next on my list is assembling the CQJP cottage blocks. 

But most of the assembled CQ blocks I've seen have rather simple sashing and borders.  I wanted something rather spectacular for a set of blocks which took a year to make....  Then along Allie...all her borders and sashing are always an integral part of the whole piece... what an inspiration she is.. And the border on her Houston entry was breathtaking.  This is the border she recently did for a relative and I loved it.  I knew I wanted to head in this direction...



Now Karen Buckley is a famous applique quilter and doesn't do any CQ but she had so much practical and technical information that was just what I needed.

Her first statements were what I wanted to hear:
1. Sashing and borders should include elements of the quilt itself.
2. Who says that all strips and pieces have to be the same width, same fabric, same color, or even the same size?

She gave us a video of the entire lecture PLUS a roll of this "tracing" paper she uses when drafting a border to a perfect size.  This is actually a roll of paper chiropractors use on the headrests of their tables...  It is 8 1/2" wide, transparent, and a nice substantial weight.   I can see MANY uses for this paper and never would have found it otherwise.  I will be looking for a source when it runs out.  I actually found a source...  Amazon 

  In addition there was a wealth of information on designing borders, designing corners, making everything fit and tips on overlapping elements. Also on how to recover when you make mistakes...  She makes and uses lots of coordinating piping and had tips on that.  Plus she had some wonderful tools I will HAVE to buy as the budget allows. And I love how she used sizing with her applique work...definitely can use that idea.

So since early last spring I have been collecting fabrics I thought suitable for the cottage piece... florals, ginghams, checks, and polka dots.  I could probably make a bed size quilt from all this....  I'm hoping you will all follow along as I start this project.

This was the only class I took but did go to two sessions of rooms full of demonstrations.  I got lots of ideas on techniques applicable to CQ I'm anxious to try.... more on those later...







3 comments:

margaret said...

you have certainly picked up lots of advice I like the idea of different sashings and borders and different sizes too

Gerry Krueger said...

ssss

Marilyn said...

wow, what a great lecture. I try to make some of my borders a little different but it is usually a result of working with too little fabric so I have to make a pieced border. And its usually by guess and by golly but what a great way to make an actual plan. I'll have to give it a try. I'm waiting with bated breath to see your progress :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts