5/25/2015

Plants that are survivors!!

Too survive in my garden is a challenge.  We have harsh winter, hot dry summers and plants have to be survivors... Here are a three of my favorites...

First are these rugged, aggressive lilies which grow anywhere and choke out all weeds.  Often called "Ditch Lilies" or "Roadside Lilies" because if they fell off a truck they grew wherever they landed.  They are a bit aggressive for a perennial bed but dazzling when given their own stage and their handsome foliage is a bonus...

Aggressive plants can be great assets if you take great care on where you plant them..

















Next is this yellow rose... the Harison's Rose. sometimes called the yellow rose of Texas, the pioneer rose, or the Oregon trail rose.  It is often found by derelict farms.  The people have died, the house has collapsed and the rose survives with no care..... It is extremely difficult to get going as it does not root from a stem cutting and even if you get a root cutting it is still iffy. But once it's established, it is there forever.






I have a huge bush at the back of the property and have been nursing this baby along by the house for three years and I think it is going to make it.

You will see it listed in most mail-order catalogs but it most likely says "out of stock" and if you do order it you will most likely receive a "crop failure" notice at the time of delivery.

Once it is established it needs LOTS of room and can be killed with kindness.









It is my conviction the most underused and undervalued perennial in America are the perennial geraniums or Cranesbill geraniums.  The thrive in shade, part shade and full sun.  They can tolerate wet soil or dry soil.  They come from tiny 12" plants with lacey leaves up to  24" plants with large handsome leaves.  They are available in many colors of whites, pinks, purples and blues.  Here they are in my garden as ground cover in full shade and are just budding up to bloom but I would grow them just for their foliage..  They get no water and no care and happily choke out the weeds.

And here they are in part of the garden that was abandoned.  Most else has died but they thrive. Many have beautifully scented leaves.  There is a nursery in the UK that specialized in only these hardy geraniums and sells over 200 varieties.

As I was walking around taking pictures I found this old copper rooster I did many years ago... Both his head and tail feathers are long gone and he is listing badly.  I put drastic restoration for him on my summer list.  When I tore down the  potting center there was an old roll of tarnished copper.... perfect!!!

5 comments:

Marlynne said...

I tried a start of the Harrison rose years ago but had no success! Yes to Daylilys and Geraniums! Love your old Rooster!

margaret said...

I enjoyed a stroll around your garden and envious of the rose especially. wish we had nice hot summers, still in my winter clothes here!

Marilyn said...

Well, you specialize in my kind of plants - ones that need no care. It isn't that I don't care - I just forget to water them etc. You have so many interesting little things hiding in your gardens - I'd love to see the rooster when you get him restored.

gocrazywithme said...

You found Mike! In the next town to the west of Grand Junction, they hold a Mike the Headless Chicken Festival each spring. His story is true, and well documented. A farmer planning on chicken dinner chopped off his head hoping to save most of the neck for his mother-in-law, as it was her favorite. What he got was a chicken that refused to die for many months after, had to be fed carefully with tweezers and an eye dropper, and a bit of fame for Fruita, Colorado. You can google it.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Like me, you include bits and bobs about your daily life along with your stitching. I love your crazy quilt stitching and I will be trying the hummingbird trick of multiple feeders together. I also have some of these same plants growing year after year; sure get your money's worth with them. Take care now from 'Older Jocelyn' LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts